Friday, August 14, 2026

Game Review: The Incident at Galley House (2026) and the Power of Grief and Remembering

Incident at Galley House

Platform: PC
Developed By: William Rous & Evil Trout Inc.
Release Date: July 14, 2026

Rating: A+

Summary: A scientific researcher works to solve a strange cold-case from the past that involved multiple bodies found in a house with no clue as to how they got there. 

My Thoughts: In this gem of a click-and-point mystery thriller, context clues and logic based deduction will get you far. Most of my playthrough consisted of scribbling down notes, scratching out incorrect theories, and periodically taking breaks because of puzzle-induced headaches. As the researcher, you have access toa device that allows you to replay the events of the house. Although, at the surface, the game appears to be this compelling, Agatha Christie whodunnit, there is something deeper, darker than blood brewing in Galley House. It's not just about finding a simple means, method, and opportunity. 

I've been thinking a lot about my own mortality lately, especially as I'm nearing the age when I have to start thinking about having kids. I know it sounds morbid and you're wondering, "What does this have to do with video games", but don't worry, I plan to tie it all back in at some point. Ideally, one of the core themes that are brought up in this game are about memory. In the game, you replay memories from the people in the house in order to figure out what happened to them. As for gameplay, all you’ll need to do is find the scene, the location, and who was in the room at that time. Input those into the machine, and you’ll find all the clues you’ll need. However, as I got deeper into the timeline and piecing together the character's memories, I naturally started thinking about how I will be remembered when I'm gone. Who’s going to hold onto all of the things that brought me joy when I was alive? The 21st birthday sash that my friends gave me? The little notes my partner writes me? Even if they happen to get passed down to my children, and their children, and their children’s children, where do those memories go? Moreover, how can I accurately keep those stories and my own memory alive if I chose not to have kids?

I often think about how many memories from my childhood have gotten mistranslated or misinterpreted over time. Playing this game was quite the reminder that there’s much more to the stories that I’ve been told by my family and that when I’m gone, the same will happen to me. It slowly turns into a interconnected, deduction puzzle about the tragedy that strikes a family struggling with their own mortality and the cycle of grief that comes with losing the ones we love. 

While I was playing this game, I constantly felt like I was doing the wrong thing or playing the wrong way. Certain rooms and conversations didn’t align like I’d imagined they did. As days went on, my notes got my slowly turned into illegible scribbles that , and my wires got crossed in ways that just didn’t make sense. Who was this person? Where were they moment ago?

I honestly felt like one of the characters in the game because it’s easy to forget, it’s much harder to remember - especially just small details about characters. What did this person look like? Who were they related to? What was that name they mentioned in the precious scene. Again, it’s much like real life in the way that it gets harder and harder to remember the smaller details about a person who’s no longer in your life. Grief is hard, but those memories are what keep them with us. We need both, even though memories are fragile. 

This game excels with its storytelling, as each scene naturally flows into the other. The game is honestly like a big Sudoku puzzle because if you’re ever stuck, all you need to do is follows who’s in what room and what could naturally follow after they’ve left. There’s also wonderful HINT system that can nudge you in the right direction if you’re stuck. 

Although I was left with my questions after my initial play though, I think it is worth a few playthroughs (even if you’re just going through scenes like they’re a movie) because there’s so much you’ll miss by just trying to get through to the end. This game is a fully voiced, dynamic work where the devil is truly in the details, so grab some water, a notebook, some pencils, and get to work!


Added note: Now, I am never one to play new games. For the past year, I've been actively searching for physical discs to play on my computer. So far, I am now the owner of 15 physical computer game discs, including a few of my favorites: Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger and Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo. I hope to do a post on those games one day, but if you have any other reccomendations, let me know!

Also, I am aware of this game's connection to other games. I've seen the titles, Type Help, and The Roottrees are Dead, mentioned in a few other reviews / playthroughs, but I am not familiar with either of them. However, as an avid fan of mysteries, true-crime, and puzzles, I have definitely added them to my wishlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment